From 23 July this year a new regulation allows anyone selling tobacco products to display a printed or handwritten notice setting out where in the shop these can be purchased. Notices can be ordered online, free, at http://www.healthed.govt.nz or obtained from local public health units. Both places also supply the pictorial health warning that must be displayed with a notice. The requirement to display a pictorial health warning means retailers wanting to put up a notice (or notices) will probably find it easier to use those provided by the Ministry of Health rather than making their own.
Shops do not have to put up tobacco availability notices but if they do, must display them only where the tobacco is stored or where it can be purchased. The number of notices permitted depends on shop size. Smaller shops are limited to one notice (see below)
- Be not larger than A4 size
- Be printed or handwritten in black on a white background
- Contain the following information
- The lettering must not be larger than the typeface known as Helvetica 70 pt, but this is about the same as Arial 72, which many shops (if they chose to do their own notice) are more likely to have. The lettering above is Arial 72 and
NO SALES TO
THE AGE OF 18
- This lettering must not be smaller than the typeface known as Helvetica 40 pt. The above is Arial 48.
- Be displayed together with a pictorial warning of the same size. (These are the same pictures as are currently provided.)
Notices must not:
- Be able to be seen outside the shop.
- How many notices are permitted depends on shop size. (Shop in this case refers to that part of the business to which members of the public generally have access):
200m 1 notice
200m - 500m 2 notices
500m or more not more than 3
The regulation also sets fees for infringement offences and provides forms for infringement and reminder notices.
If a customer asks for written product and price information this must be provided in the following way:
Be printed or handwritten in black on 1 or more sheets of plain white paper no larger than A4 size
- Be printed or handwritten in lettering not larger than the typeface known as Helvetica 16 pt (Arial 16)
- State only the brand of tobacco product, the variant, the amount, quantity or size and the price
- Have a health warning at the top and bottom of each page containing product information, namely
Ka mate koe i te kai hikareti
- The first line must not be smaller than the typeface known as Helvetica 70 pt (Arial 72) and the second line not smaller than the typeface known as Helvetica 40 pt (Arial 22)
- State at the bottom of the page below the health warning:
No sales to persons under the age of 18
- This line must not be smaller than the typeface known as Helvetica 22 pt (Arial 22)
- Have a continuous solid black border along the edge of each page where the product and price information is set out.
TOBACCO PRODUCTS SOLD BY WAY OF AUTOMATIC VENDING MACHINES
- A notice displayed on the outside of a vending machine may provide information only about the tobacco products available from the machine and their price. Notices must otherwise be in the form required for product information (as above).